Some useful things I did learn:
- How to peel a melon. Family members will actually eat them if they are cut up into bite size pieces in the fridge.
- The most useless cut in the world is a brunoise, which is a mince producing bits of carrot or potato the size of small grains of rice. Good only for a Vichyssoise.
- If you are slicing onions thinly, slice from the side of the onion. Much more visually appealing results.
- Always dry your herbs in a salad spinner before mincing. This avoids that molten mush of green slime that collects on your knife and cutting board.
- And finally, always remember to tuck your fingers under when holding the vegetables and choke up on the knife.